Each week the AIT community receives #TakeActionTuesday with tips for creating impactful change in their community and beyond. From new online tools, to pending policy updates, subscribe today to make sure you don’t miss these action-oriented recommendations.
Last week we lost a true feminist icon, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who passed away at age 87. The second woman appointed to the Supreme Court in 1993, Justice Ginsburg became a prominent member of the Court’s liberal wing, and a champion for equality and women’s rights. A Brooklyn native, Ginsburg was top of her law class at Columbia University but initially struggled to find a job practicing because she was a woman.
Ginsburg began her career instead teaching law, while also working as an advocate for the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). As director of the ACLU’s Women’s Rights Project, she argued six gender discrimination cases before the supreme court, winning five, in a decade. Her work both on and off the bench helped shape a more equal future for generations to come.
Today, is National Voter Registration Day and a great moment to honor Ginsburg’s legacy though our own advocacy for equality.
- Learn About Ginsburg. AIT board partner Participant Media released a wonderful documentary two years ago chronicling the life and legacy of Justice Ginsburg. Learn about her life of advocacy and passion for justice by streaming RBG.
- Advocate However you feel about the vacancy, it’s important to voice your opinion to your Senators. The Senate holds the power to hold or advance the nomination. Email, or call your own senators to voice your opinion. Find the contacts for your senators here.
- Register Voters. In honor of National Voter Registration Day today, make sure you’re registered to vote. Find your polling location and familiarize yourself with the rules in your area here. Already registered? Reach out to others in your community to help get them registered.
- Share Your Passion. We want to know what inspires you to vote or why you want others to vote this year. Email or DM us photos or videos with your message so we can share them on social media, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donate. Support the grassroots education and mobilization AIT does to get women to the polls in 2020 and beyond.
What are your thoughts on filling the supreme court vacancy? Let us know email@example.com.